Friday 31 July 2009

Print on demand for newspapers available at Munich central station.

It is about 15 years that I came across the idea of newspapers - printed in the shop where you buy them (sometime when I studied in Ulm). Today I have seen an advert for print on demand newspapers in the international newspapers kiosk in the central station in Munich. They have 850 titles from 70 countries available - as print on demand. The display copies had a decent quality - looked like A3 size color laser printouts - perhaps I can fetch a copy tomorrow.

I wonder how long it will take to move more (low volume papers, local supplements, etc.) to print on demand and how in the short term the split between e-ink and print on demand will be.

It was great to see in Munich so many people I previouly worked with!